Carpeting is still one of the most popular flooring choices, but leaks, broken pipes and storm flooding can cause that “funny” mold and mildew smell.
Mold and mildew buildup becomes a matter of health. For some people, it irritates the nose, eyes, throat or lungs and creates breathing problems. It can also, especially when airborne, exacerbate symptoms of hay fever, asthma and allergies.
You may also need to think about the subfloor; if a wet carpet stays on it for too long, it will eventually soak through and the floor will start buckling, and, hence, need repair or replacement.
Georgia is one of those places that can be hot and humid. It also gets some tropical storm remnants from neighboring states.
Select Floors will advise you on the best way of protecting both your family’s health, whether it’s in Marietta, or is a carpet installation in Roswell.
Meanwhile, here are some tips you need to know right now:
● Encourage your family to remove shoes upon entering the house. If it’s rainy, people can easily track in the moisture from wet dirt, sand or mud. It just takes a few hours and a little water for mold to start growing. Remember also that carpets and padding can be very porous, so they can soak up and magnify even the smallest amount of water.
● Keep area rugs or mats by the door. We know it can be difficult sometimes to ask guests to remove their shoes; but, this way, people can at least wipe them off, even if they don’t want to remove them.
● Act fast. Even though this is a job best done by the pros, don’t wait for them to come before you start drying. Use fans and dehumidifiers. Dehumidifiers make the air feel cooler and help dry out the room, which can also be good for your other furnishings and the subfloor. If it’s sunny and clear, and if you can, remove the carpets and get them outside to dry.
● Get your Marietta carpet installation professionally cleaned! The pros can clean deep and they know the exact amount of soap to use, so there are no soap remnants to contend with. They also have state-of-the-art water extraction machines, so your carpet will be thoroughly dry.
● Ask questions. If your carpet is wet from flood damage, the water may be dirty. Also ask about padding; they’ll know the best way to clean it, or if it would be better just to replace it.
Call the pros at Select Floors for professional cleaning. The company has showrooms in Marietta and Roswell, GA.